Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Design Evaluation

Design Evaluation: Campbell's vs Progresso New England Clam Chowder

- side by side on the shelf




When I shop, the first thing I look at is cost. Fortunately I found 2 cans of soup that cost about the same per ounce. Now, I can concentrate on packaging and campaign.

From advertising campaigns, I remember that Campbell emphasizes satisfaction and taste, “Mmm Mmm Good”. Progresso tries to align it's soup with a healthy life style.

The first thing I notice is the red background of the Campbell label. It grabs my attention. The blue Progresso label background is soothing and harmonious which is consistent with a healthy life style. The white text on red background has more contrast than white text on a blue background. The taller can gets more attention. The wider can appears to contain more soup. Fortunately both have the weight of contents on the front. I would pick up and read the Campbell label first considering shape, color, and contrast.

The photo of the soup on the Progresso can looks more realistic and healthy.

Campbell's slogan, “Soup that eats like a meal”, focuses on satisfaction. Progresso's descriptions as “Quality Food” and “Gluten Free” on the front of the can and “No MSG Added”, “Gluten Free”, “No Artificial Flavors” on the side of the can focuses on health.



Both cans display nutrition information. Progresso's consistent text size and closeness of Nutrition Facts to Ingredients make it easier to research health effects.

Campbell's promotes convenience and satisfaction by including easy to read preparation instructions. Progresso 's preparation instructions may not be noticed.

Considering Design Evaluation:

If I was primarily interested in satisfaction, convenience, and packaging I would buy Campbell's Soup.

If I was primarily interested in healthy foods I would buy Progresso's Soup.

Taste Test:
I prefer the Progresso's soup to the Campbell's. I was not just tasting the potatoes like I did in the Campbell's soup. Campbell's lives up to the name that it is chunky.

No comments:

Post a Comment